Triple P – Positive Parenting Program ®
What is Triple P?
Triple P – Positive Parenting Program® is one of the world’s most effective parenting programs. Triple P works by giving parents the skills to raise confident, healthy children and teenagers, and to build stronger family relationships. It also helps parents manage misbehavior and prevent problems occurring in the first place. But it doesn’t tell people how to parent. Rather, it gives them simple and practical strategies they can adapt to suit their own values, beliefs and needs.
FALL 2019 – FREE DISCUSSION GROUPS REGISTER > PRINT SCHEDULE >
Getting Teenagers to Cooperate
Wed., August 28, 5:30-7:30 pm
During this discussion, parents share some of their experiences and ideas about dealing with non-cooperation and discuss reasons why teenagers can be uncooperative. Several positive parenting strategies are introduced to help parents develop a plan to motivate their teenager to be cooperative at home.
Coping with Teenagers’ Emotions
Wed., September 25, 5:30-7:30 pm
In this session, parents discuss some of the reasons teenagers have emotional reactions and the skills that teens need to calm themselves down. Several positive parenting strategies are introduced to help parents teach their teen to better manage their emotions.
Building Teenagers’ Survival Skills
Wed., October 23, 5:30-7:30 pm
This discussion topic explores why teenagers sometimes make risky decisions and how they can learn to keep themselves safe while gradually developing independence. Parents are introduced to positive parenting strategies to help their teen plan for situations which may potentially put their health or wellbeing at risk.
Reducing Family Conflict
Thurs., November 14, 5:30-7:30 pm
During this discussion, parents share some of their experiences of conflict with their teenager and discuss why sometimes this occurs in families. Several positive parenting strategies are introduced to help parents teach their teens how to get along with other family members and resolve problems. Ways to manage times when conflict affects the whole family are also discussed.
What is Group Teen Triple P?
A broad-based parenting intervention that is:
- delivered over 8 weeks
- for parents of 12-16 year-olds interested in promoting their pre-teen/teenager’s development and potential
- for parents who wish to address concerns about their teenager’s behavior
The program involves:
- five (2-hour) group sessions for up to 12 parents
- Three individual sessions (between 15-30 minutes) with the Triple P instructor
- active participation in range of exercises to learn about
- influences on adolescent behavior
- setting specific goals
- using strategies to promote a teenager’s skills development, manage inappropriate behavior, and teach emotional self-regulation
- how to plan around risk-taking behavior and risky situations.
Who can sign up?
Parents or caregivers who:
- have concerns about their teen’s mild to moderate level behavioral problems
- wish to prevent behavioral problems from developing
- have completed lower level interventions and have not achieved the goals
- can commit to all eight sessions.
Find a Class
TCC and the City of Tempe partner to bring together their Triple P specialists and classes to offer one-stop place to find classes for parents with children of all ages.
Sandi Cimino – TCC Triple P Specialist | email@example.com